Equipment Run Time in Central/South Florida
Equipment runs, as a general rule, more in the summer and less in the winter. Periods of heavy rain and higher bather load will likely increase the equipment run time as well. In the Summer, the swimming pool maintenance should run about 10-12 hours. In the Spring and Fall seasons, about 8 hours. Winter season your maintenance system should run for 6 hours (central Florida). Running a circulation pump during the peak times (when the sun is on the pool) helps to ensure an even mix of chemical, regulate the water temperature, and add additional chlorine as needed.
Routine Swimming Pool Maintenance Central/South Florida
- Pool filters should be serviced and the filter/DE powder replaced every 6 months – 1 year.
- Algae treatment should be performed at minimum between May 1st – October 31st. This service not only protects your family and friends’ health, but can save money on potential medical expenses and costly pool equipment repairs. (Basic pool resurfacing can be upwards of $5,000 – $10,000!)
- Full replacement of pool spa water should be done every 3 – 5 years, or Half replacement of pool spa water every 2 – 4 years. This helps to remove build up of dissolved soils and minerals, which can be damaging to the pool spa surfaces and equipment.
- Salt Cell Acid Wash should be done every 3 to 6 months.
- Cartridge filters should be cleaned every 1 to 3 months (or when the filter pressure gauge rises 7 psi above clean reading , whichever comes first).
- Pool and spa resurfacing needs done around the 10 year mark. Without proper routine maintenance the Pool or Spa surface can be permanently stained or etched. This can make it so the pool is destroyed in 5 years or less! We have seen properly maintained Pools Spas last upwards of 10 – 15 years with proper pool care.
Proper maintenance is defined by the above text, as well as the text shown below.
Weekly Maintenance/spa services include but are not limited to:
- Skimming debris off pool and spa surface and bottom.
- Cleaning out skimmers and pump baskets
- Checking for basket damage.
- Brushing pool walls and floor.
- Checking filter pressure and the cleaning filter when the pressure exceeds 7 psi.
- Vacuuming spa pool as needed for debris.
- Checking equipment for leaks and ensure readings are within reasonable measure.
- Water balancing; Chlorine (Total & Free), PH, Alkalinity, Stabilizer, and Hardness
Mother Nature and Leaks
Mother Nature provides challenges beyond our control such as intense heat/sunlight, periods of heavy rain, or droughts. These instances need additional equipment run time to add or let out water accordingly. Other more serious issues, like equipment leaks, usually come from dramatic temperature changes. Temperature changes can cause expansion/contraction. In these cases, our pool leak repair expert needs to disassemble and reassemble, potentially with gasket work.
The worst challenges come from pressure washing, lawn mowing services, or lawn treatment services (Fertilizing/Weed Killer). Round Up/weed killers, stripper, and fertilizer can make it into your pool after these kinds of services. Solutions for combating these substances getting into your pool include chemical treatment and in severe cases draining and replacing the pool spa water.
Algae, Bacteria, Mold, Fungi…
Algae, Bacteria, Mold, Fungi are not only are serious health concerns for people, but also your pool spa equipment! Algae Treatment can help you save money by preventing medical expenses, pool and spa resurfacing, and equipment damage. A Typical pool and spa resurfacing starts around $5,000 – $10,000.
In cases of Black Algae, chemical treatments, resurfacing, and replacing all of the pool equipment might not be enough. Not only do you have the high costs, but your homes property value can decrease! Our Algae Treatment pool services can help to prevent these types of instances from occurring.
If you are concerned with Algae being in your pool, there are Algae preventive treatment services available. Our pool service provider provides weekly pool maintenance to put your mind at ease. When they leave, it is the property owners equipment that filters the water and adds chlorine. If the equipment fails, it is the responsibility of the property owner to check on and take action towards replacing the equipment . The costs to the property owner may be a “Green Pool” service charge ranging from $150 – $500. In worst case scenarios with Black Algae, that could require removing the old pool/spa and all equipment and installing an entirely new pool.
Pool Spots, discoloring, and surface pitting
There are different treatments, that can remove different types of spots while the pool/spa is full of water. Depending on the condition of the pool and spa (no surface pitting/cracks), an Acid Wash and resurfacing may be a viable option. The pool and spa are drained in both scenarios. The average life of the pool and surface is 10 years. In certain cases, they can last less than 5 years if not properly maintained. Alternatively, well maintained systems can last up to 15 – 20 years!
For pool and maintenance services contact us at here!